Job Posting : 17/Sep/2019
Closure Date : 01/Oct/2019, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: SFE
Job Type : Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location : Ethiopia-Hawassa
Duration: 12 months (6 months probation with possibility of extension depending on performance and availability of funds)
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative is to assist governments to develop policies, programs and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
General Description of the Project
In the Ethiopian context, the links between agriculture, agro-industry development, gender and nutrition have important implications on poverty reduction, biodiversity conservation and environmental sustainability; therefore, rural women’s role is critical and necessary in all development agendas. This project is aimed at building on the achievements of the initial pilot phase implemented by United Nations Industrial Development Organization( UNIDO,) to scale-up moringa production and productivity (M. stenopetala and M. oleifera), strengthen the value chain through integrated utilization of natural resources, and improve value addition through processing and marketing in a sustainable way. To realize its objectives, the project will focus on improving food and nutrition security and livelihood of rural households, targeting especially rural women, through the development of an inclusive and sustainable Moringa Value Chain. In particular, the project will:
1. Enhance sustainable production and productivity of Moringa through integrated utilization of natural resources; and
2. Improve value addition of Moringa through processing and marketing of Moringa products;
The position is under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative in Ethiopia and direct supervision of the Socio-economic Team Leader and closely works with Country office Teams.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Ethiopia Socio Economy Team Leader and the technical support of relevant Sub regional Office for Eastern Africa (SFE) Officers, the incumbent will provide technical inputs and support on matters related to improved rural livelihoods through support to Moringa Value Chain development
Tasks and responsibilities:
Initiate implementation of work plan and organize inception workshop and kick start project implementation;
Support the development of Letter of Agreements (LOA ) and follow up implementation;
Develop specific training material and curricula to enhance production and productivity of moringa (M. stenopetala);
Establish quality control mechanisms for genetic material and a well-structured seed system;
Support capacity development of public Institutions and value chain actors;
Facilitate forward and backward linkages between value chain actors to link them with national and international markets;
Support development of moringa-based (nutritious) products & recipes for local communities (in synergy with Output 2);
Support the introduction and foster the procurement of moringa stenopetala & oleifera as food/food supplement (e.g. utilization of moringa in homegrown school feeding programs, etc.);
Set up a Joint Project Implementation Unit;
Co-ordinate all project activities, ensure that duties and responsibilities, of all project staff and partners are well defined, and liaise with collaborating institutions for timely implementation;
Develop Project factsheets, videos and other promotional material (including media local campaigns, awareness raising initiatives at national and international);
Conduct Project Monitoring (mid-term and final reports, , etc.) and evaluation;
Prepare and submit timely report;
Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Candidates should be national of Ethiopia
• Advanced University Degree in Nutrition, Food Science, Plant Sciences or a closely related field.
• Five years of relevant experience in Nutrition, Food Science, Plant Science.
• Excellent knowledge of English both written and spoken; and good knowledge of Amharic and any other languages is an asset
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Experience in nutrition interventions, value addition
• Relevance of experience in project/programme formulation and implementation and coordinating projects.
• Skills in analysing, interpreting and synthesizing scientific information.
• Ability in prioritizing tasks, working independently and dealing promptly with urgent issues.
• Depth of knowledge and understanding of the work of international organizations and national governments.
• Negotiating and advisory skills.
• Both oral and written communication skills (including ability to write concise reports).
• FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
• Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
• Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
• Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
• For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT