DRC recruits 01 Human Resource Officer
Title: Human Resource Officer(Re-Advertised) Location: Jijiga Reports to: Area Manager Grade-H2 Start of Contract & Duration: 12 Months Posting date: June 21, 2019
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997.
DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants.
The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE: The HR Officer is expected to provide support to the HR Unit in the following activities:
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of DRC HR policies and ensure adherence to it.
- Ensure personnel files are complete and accurate assuring adherence to highest level of confidentiality.
- Handle and facilitate the national staff recruitment process.
- Makes internal and/or external announcement of vacancies as required by different offices in DRC;
- Assist the hiring managers by longlisting the applicants as per the criteria set by the organization and send the longlist to the hiring manager; contacting the selected candidates for interview and written exam, facilitate and handle the written exams in Jijiga in coordination with CO HR.
- Maintain tracking system of the recruitment process and compile weekly recruitment status report.
- Make sure that objective is set for the newly hired staff in the first week of their recruitment for their probation period. Follow up with the hiring manager to make sure that all the newly hired staff are evaluated for their probation period one week in advance of the end of their probation period.
- Make sure that all newly hired staff get proper orientation in the Jijiga or coordinate with the CO to make sure that all newly hired staff get proper orientation.
- Follow up with all Jijiga and Departments regarding the contract extension of all staff members before two weeks in advance of the expiration of the contract and request them to advise us on the next action.
- Oversee leave management; maintain leave tracking; ensuring complete documentation for all staff movement in the Jijiga Office.
- Checks the fulfilment of all employment formalities, the required documents and make sure that the Jijiga has sound documentation system;
- Follows up on the submission of accurate timesheets from all staff in DRC Jijiga and ensures accuracy of basic personnel data before payment is effected;
- Ensures that all staff are insured when they first join the organization, sends the updates of any changes that affect our insurance policy like salary increment, resignation, the status of the staff, etc;
- Handles all insurance related issues of staff in a very organized and professional manner;
- Keeps records of different leave requests centrally in Addis Ababa, provides this information to the staff, the management and to any other concerned stakeholders upon request;
- Records and updates salaries and allowances, transfers, promotions completion of probation; termination of service, etc. of staff on personnel files and computer data bases in coordination with CO HR;
- Organize orientation to the newly hired staff.
- Make sure that all newly hired staff have got DRC ID; follow up the contract renewal of ID Printing Service Providers, manage the contract.
- Make sure that all staff in DRC Jijiga have been registered in the government pension scheme and keep the record in the personal file.
- Provide professional advice to project managers on a range of HR issues.
- Compile HR related reports as required.
- Any other assignments as instructed by the immediate supervisor
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies: Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes. Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback. Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation. Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly. Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 4 years’ experience for Diploma or above 2 year experience for BA holders
- High integrity, pro-active, stable, robust character and a good team-player
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills
- Experience in working in NGOs
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Knowledge of computers: word processing, database management packages.
EDUCATION: Diploma or BA in Human Resource Management or other relevant fields.
LANGUAGE: Fluent in written and spoken English. Somali Language have an advantage
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies. Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than July 3, 2019. Female Applicants are highly encouraged. For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk. Gender Equality:
DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap. Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants