The Danish Refugee Council recruits 01 Regional Head of Multi Country Grants Operations (RHGO)
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
1 – Background
DRC has been operating in West Africa since 1998. The DRC West Africa Regional Office (hereafter: WARO) is based in Dakar, Senegal, and covers six countries outside of Senegal. Led by the Regional Director, the DRC WARO oversees, supports and provides strategic directions for DRC’s Country Offices within the region, which currently includes Mali, Burkina Faso, the Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon and the Central African Republic.
2 – Purpose
The Regional Head of Multi Country Grants Operations (RHGO) is overall responsible for ensuring the timely and compliant delivery of DRC’s programme activities in the field (i) for regionally held grants, (ii) multi country and cross border projects, (iii) country managed operations in countries without the full span of grant management specialists, as outlined in the Strategic Programme Document, Sector Strategies and Area Strategies, and in line with the programme technical guidelines and advice deriving from those documents and the work plans for individual grants.
A key member of DRC West Africa’s Senior Management Team, the RHGO works collaboratively with the Regional Head of Programmes (RHoP) to ensure that the programme strategies they are responsible for preparing are realistically achievable, and sufficient technical guidance and support is available to implement the grant components of those strategies effectively. The RHGO also works collaboratively with the Regional Head of Support Services to ensure that processes to enable smooth delivery of operations in the field (e.g. HR, Admin, IT, Finance, Supply Chain, etc.) are being consistently applied and improved. The RHGO also coordinates closely with the Regional Humanitarian Access and Safety Coordinator to ensure operations are conducted safely and in line with humanitarian principles wherever they are implemented.
The RHGO works in support with the Country Programmes Area Managers where regional and/or multi country grants are implemented. The RHGO ensures technical support in grant management and project cycle management is available to Area Managers and monitors the timely implementation of activities in these areas.
The RHGO is part of the Regional Senior Management Team.
3 – Duties and Responsibilities
1) Management and Programming
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate Regional projects, multi-country projects and cross-border projects implementation by Area Managers and Head of Bases.
- Manage Regional office project implementation staff (BSM project coordinator, WACAFI project coordinator, multi -country projects) and Regional Grant Specialists.
- Ensure full project cycle management for the projects in her/his portfolio (design, fundraising, kick off, implementation, evaluation, redesign…)
- Develop multi country programming and project management through the implementation of internal services contracts between countries and Regional Office.
- Support concerned Area Managers in countries in planning operations and activities; contribute to their training plan and capacity building and develop tool boxes to improve operations planning and monitoring.
- Provide direct support and coaching to Country Interim Directors in the absence of Country Directors.
- Contribute with other SMT members to developing regional strategies and related processes.
- Oversee development of Area Strategies by the Area Offices within frame of SPD & Sector Strategies.
- Supervise and develop strategic partnerships involved in the regional projects.
- Support Area Managers in managing partnerships at the local level.
- Develop tools for partnership management in the region.
4) Grant Management
- Oversee the provision of high-quality grant management services for grants directly managed by the Region.
- Organize the provision by regional staff of high quality grant management services to Country Offices without grant manager in their teams.
Experience / Training
4 – Required Qualifications
- Master degree on International Developement, Social Sciences, MBA.
- 10 years senior management experience
- Previous experience as a Country Director essential.
- Strong people management skills
- Strong operational background (project management, finance, HR, safety)
- Fully expert in written and spoken French
- Full proficiency in written and spoken English.
5 – Required Skills & Qualities
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
- Multi-tasking and Organizational skills are necessary
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
- Team-oriented & good sense of humor
6 – General Regulations
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request
7 – Salary and contractual terms & conditions :
- Position Title: Regional Head of Multi Country Grants Operations (RHGO)
- Supervised by: Regional Director
- Reporting to: Regional Director
- Location: Dakar – Senegal
- Duty Station: Family Duty Station – Accompanied position
- Aera of Operation: Region of West Africa
- Employement Period: 12 months
- Contract start date : January 2021
- Type of Contract (Expat/National/Trainee): Expatriate
- Salary & Benefits: Management E – Level 1
How to apply
8 – Application Process
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot employ, under an international position, a citizen of the country in which she/ he is going to be stationed (in such case the Republic of Senegal).
Applications close on the 6th of December, 2020. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.