OIM recruits 01 Resources Management Officer
Position Title : Resources Management Officer
Duty Station : Kasulu, Tanzania, United Republic of
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 18 July 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Lesotho; Libya; Marshall Islands; Mauritania; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Paraguay; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the Country Office’s Resource Management Officer, and in coordination with relevant units at Head Office in Dar es Salaam, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for coordinating the budgetary, financial, human resources and administrative functions of IOM Kasulu Sub-Office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Assist in monitoring and overseeing the financial management for all activities in Sub Office Kasulu including the oversight of financial expenditures and accountability; undertake financial analysis of respective projects in Kasulu.
2. Maintain appropriate internal controls in the sub-office to safeguard the Organization’s assets, control cash, and prevent fraud. Strengthen internal controls by documenting and streamlining approval processes including control of accounts and control of cash management. Propose necessary amendments in processes to the Head of Sub-Office and to the Country Office RMO.
3. Assist RMO, in managing the human resources function and make recommendations on recruitment, retention, promotion, and separation of local staff.
4. Act as payroll administrator for the Country Office, inspect payroll and synchronise updates on monthly bases in coordination with HR staff, ensuring that salaries are correctly posted and allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
5. Interpret and apply IOM’s Human Resources and Financial policies, rules and regulations, as well as standards and techniques taking into account the Mission’s activities; and ensure that local administrative procedures are in place and followed and are in accordance with these practices;
6. As HR Agent follow up with staff on Staff Evaluation System (SES) to complete cycles on time. Maintain data related to SES and create, change and correct information in Organizational Module (OM) as needed.
7. Prepare donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
8. Forecast cash flows according to activities in Sub-Office Kasulu and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; ensure funding is received in accordance with donor agreements
9. Preparing the annual budget for the Sub-Office Kasulu, in coordination with the relevant Programme Managers. Monitor budget control and analyse variances between budget(s) and actual expenditures on a monthly basis and assist in the preparation of budgets for new programmes.
10. Inspect payments versus budgets, ensuring that salaries for daily staff are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
11. Make recommendations on procedural improvements and assist in training local staff in the relevant areas of administration and finance.
12. Coordinate administrative and human resources policies and practices in Sub Office Kasulu; apply HR polices, rules and regulations and make recommendations for resolving difficult or sensitive cases.
13. Assist in the supervision of the Sub Office Kasulu administrative functions, including recruitment, personnel administration, and other related activities, in accordance with the Organization’s policies and procedures.
14. Verify approved budget availability for WBS requested in Purchase Requisition Form(s) of Sub-Office Kasulu and make sure the Purchase Requisition/Purchase Order is completed and submitted in a timely manner to finance during the invoice settlement.
15. Liaise with all other internal functional units of the Sub-Office Kasulu as well as banking, donors and government counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
16. Support the Head of Sub-Office (HoSO) to ensure that programmatic activities are being implemented in a manner that is consistent with donor agreements both from operational and budgetary perspectives. Page 2 / 5
17. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Management, Logistics, Procurement or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or,
University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience;
• Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
• Experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting;
• Knowledge of human resources management an advantage;
• Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, supervise staff and coordinate administrative activities;
• Experience with internal control assessment, internal audit and or external audit;
• Knowledge of IOM/UN regulations, policies and procedures;
• Experience with international institutions knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP highly desirable; and,
• Knowledge of MS Office specifically EXCEL and IOM accounting systems, software and procedures a distinct advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Kiswahili, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 18 July 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment