La Croix-Rouge de Belgique, Communauté francophone, is seeking a Community Based Surveillance (CBS) Delegate for its projects in Senegal (Dakar).
Location: Senegal, Dakar (regular trips inside the country and sub-Region).
Starting date (ideally): 01/10/ 2018.
Type of contract: 1 year working contract (under Belgian law), extendable 6 months.
Various: Applicants should be available for a CBS training in Dakar 10-17/09/2018.
Job reference (insert in in the subject bar of your email): CBS/SNG/2018.
How to apply: Send your résumé (2 pages max) in French and cover letter (2 pages max) in English at [email protected]
Deadline to apply: 12/08/2018.
Croix-Rouge de Belgique (CRB) was founded in 1864, based on the Resolutions of the Geneva International Conference that called upon the creation of National Societies for the rescue of wounded military personnel in the battlefield. Both its national and international activities have started since its creation.
The international department of the Croix-Rouge de Belgique was created in 1993. Its main activities are to respond to humanitarian emergencies and support post–emergency recovery, community resilience, preparedness, community-based health and nutrition, and economic inclusion, as well as International Humanitarian Law. Its mission is to support the Red Cross/ Red Crescent Movement in order to improve the living conditions of vulnerable people. To that end, it supports the development of partner National Societies and promotes compliance with humanitarian rules and principles.
Our intervention in Senegal:
In Senegal, CRB supports its national counterpart (Croix-Rouge du Sénégal) in implementing projects to build resilience of rural communities in Thies and its surrounding. The Croix-Rouge du Sénégal’s (CRS) headquarter is located in Dakar with a mandate to operate nationally via its local entities (Comité locaux de la Croix-Rouge), relying on a wide network of volunteers in the field. CRB is about to start an innovative humanitarian project with CRS on Community Based Surveillance (CBS). This project aims at the development, field testing and preparation for scaling up the usage of an open source App for Community Based Surveillance.
The CBS App strengthens the capacity of local humanitarian actors to detect, report and respond to humanitarian emergencies. It allows for a faster and improved detection of humanitarian emergencies. This, in turn will enable all actors to trigger an earlier and better tailored response.
Within the timeframe of this project, the CBS App will focus solely on health issues. One of the key components of the project will be the field testing of the CBS App in Senegal. Therefore, CRB is looking for an experienced adviser on Community Based Surveillance, based in Dakar.
Description of Purpose of Role:
The CBS delegate will be responsible for rolling out CBS project activities in Senegal with the CRS team, as well as supporting regional training and testing of new tools, ensuring development is driven by field needs.
The CBS delegate will provide support to the CRS for development, implementation, monitoring and quality assurance of CBS Program activities. The CBS delegate will work closely with the CRB Country Representative, the CRS CBS focal point and other relevant counterparts at CRS (including local branches in the country). S/he will also facilitate collaboration with the Ministry of Health, Institut Pasteur and all stakeholders involved in epidemiology and health surveillance in Senegal.
S/he will be part of a Norwegian Red Cross (NorCross)-CRB CBS consortium and will therefore work closely with the Africa CBS Coordinator based in Nairobi and the Global CBS coordinator based in Oslo. With the support of the CRB Country Representative, s/he will ensure a strong collaboration (including communication) with IFRC initiatives, as CP3, managed by the Sahel cluster in
The position requires experience in public health and more specifically in epidemiology and health surveillance. Experience in establishing and implementing surveillance projects is an important plus.
In close coordination with the CRB Country Rep and with the technical support of the NorCross Africa CBS Delegate based in Nairobi and the NorCross Global CBS Project Leader, s/he will:
• Support and advise CRS on implementation of CBS; ensure quality of assessment, program development, implementation, monitoring, and reporting through frequent field.
• Provide technical support to CRS in design and implementing CBS project activities including support to CRS field teams.
• Monitor developments in public health in emergencies in Senegal and the Sahel, in- and outside the RC Movement, in specific monitoring of epidemiological data, health indicators, risks, disaster and disease patterns for analysis and early detection of health concerns, disease outbreaks or epidemics in Senegal and the Region.
• Discuss with all health actors in Senegal to constantly ensure CRS CBS’ program is relevant and is of added value in the overall health surveillance ecosystem in Senegal.
• Continuously contribute to the development of global CBS tools through field testing, input and feedback to CRB-NorCross on the functionality, effectiveness and user-friendliness of tools and guidelines (including legal and ethical guidelines), and provide recommendations for future developments.
• Support the development of specific training curriculum for CBS and support the delivery of these trainings.
• Support the preparation work to scale up CBS in the Sahel region after 2020, including the followup of consultancy in the Sahel.
• A Master’s Degree in Public Health or similar.
• Minimum 3 years work experience in international emergency assistance, with a focus on health.
• Field experience of working for a minimum of 3 years in a development country, preferably with the RC/RC Movement.
• Minimum of 1 year professional experience in health programmes and surveillance/epidemiology projects preferably within the RC/RC movement.
• Advanced knowledge of humanitarian fieldwork.
• Proven interest in the role of innovation in the humanitarian field, especially in public health.
• Knowledge of/ experience in Senegal, especially in the field of public health (ICT, e-Heath).
• Proven experience in designing/ establishing/ implementing surveillance projects.
• Strong analytical and communication skills and ability to multi-task under pressure and yet remain effective and productive.
• Strong computer skills (MS Office incl Excel, Magpi, data management and analyse software)
• Skills in mobile data collection tools is a plus.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work with partners.
• Willingness to travel (up to 20% of the time).
• Fluent written and oral skills in French.
• Working level understanding of English.
• Knowledge of advanced IT tools and systems is a plus.
• Solution oriented
• Comfortable with ambiguity.
• Ability to work in a fast paced and stressful environment.
• Flexibility to adapt to constantly changing dynamics.
• Able to perform and prioritize multiple tasks and work with tight deadlines
. • Available for missions on short notice.
• Committed to the 7 fundamental principles of the RC/RC Movement and acts accordingly.