ILRI recruits 01 Procurement Associate II
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Procurement Associate II to be part of Supply Chain unit. General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock.
It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centers dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. . Job Purpose:
The job holder sources whatever the business requires and searches for better deals. Engage with suppliers, government offices i.e. Inland Revenue and custom authority and transit agents for the smooth clearance of shipment from abroad. It needs to be cost effective while also dealing with other factors such as sustainability, risk management and ethical issues.
- Assists the Procurement Officer in the purchases of goods and services required by the Institute, locally or overseas, following the Institute’s established Procurement policies, procedures and guideline;
- Prepares transport documentation accompanying dispatches such as packing lists, waybills and loading details to accompany shipment;
- Plans and organizes the day-to-day local purchase activities ahead of time including review and assignments of work to the Local Purchase. Local purchases include, but are not limited to, animal feed, stationery, cafeteria supplies, sanitary supplies, fuel supplies, pharmaceutical products, lab./field supplies, construction materials, uniforms & protective wear, tools and spare parts and pest control services;
- Handles purchase requisitions from ILRI cost centers; and obtain ‘competitive’ quotations from suppliers in order to determine the most favorable prices, product quality, timely delivery, payment terms and other conditions of supply;
- Prepares quotation analysis charts for local and oversea purchase to be reviewed by the Procurement Officer and approved by requesting cost centers;
- Raises purchase orders for approval by the supervisor; and check purchase order for accuracy and completeness including allocation of account/cost center/project codes;
- Ensures that all government and other documentation required for purchase is processed promptly and accurately and followed up to ensure that unnecessary delays are not experienced;
- Follows-up and keeps supervisor as well as concerned requisitions informed of the status of outstanding purchase orders periodically as appropriate;
- Arranges transportation of purchased goods to ILRI premises in Addis Ababa as per purchase requisitions;
- Maintains appropriate purchase records, documentation and relevant information about suitable local suppliers, price list and catalogues in the data base for reference by interested persons/units;
- Collects documents for items received at the Airport from Airport cargo or the shipping agents and obtain duty-free authorization;
- Ensures that all required government documentation is processed promptly and accurately and followed up properly so that unnecessary delays can be avoided;
- Follows-up with the clearing agents and expedite delivery of imports by air/sea freight;
- Expedites prompt clearance of delicate and perishable goods or arranges for temporary cold-storage if necessary;
- Maintains proper record to show the current status of all goods awaiting clearance and report to the Supervisor on daily basis;
- Exercises good judgment about driving safety; and reviews, on weekly basis, the reasonableness of daily mileage covered by vehicles assigned to Procurement on the bases of properly maintained vehicle-logbooks.
- Performs any other duties related to Procurement including clearance of imported goods as assigned by the supervisor; and also deputize for the Procurement Officer when on leave or mission.
Minimum Requirements: Education:
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Procurement and Supplies /Management
- One year experience for Bachelor’s degree and Diploma with three years of relevant experience in procurement, transit and clearance work in import and export of goods
- Good knowledge of supply sources
- Good organization skills
- Ability to plan and co-ordinate routine operations
- Ability to negotiate prices to the advantages of the Institute
- Rigorous approach to duties
- Proficiency in MS office and use of ERP applications
- Ability to maintain accurate records and other documentation
- Licensed to drive light vehicles
- Sound judgment and initiative
- Effective communication skill
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Job Grade: HG 11 Monthly Base Salary: Birr 14,000 (Negotiable depending on salary history of the candidate). Terms of appointment:
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding.
The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae.
The position and reference number: REF: PA/33/19 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: