Aviation Officer NOB – Goma
Area of expertise : Supply chain
Country : Democratic Republic of the Congo
Type of contract : Long term opportunities
Closing date : 22 November 2019, 23:59 GMT
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Applications from female candidate are highly appreciated.
Female candidates wishing to get more information about this vacancy are invited to a briefing session which will be organised on their behalf on Wednesday 13 November 2019 at 2:00 pm. They can either show up at the Country Office located at 116, Immeuble MIBA, Boulevard du 30 Juin – Kinshasa -Gombe (just opposite INTERPOOL BUILDING at Haut Commandement) or at any WFP Office located in the town where the candidate lives.
TUnited Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
This job is found in Goma Area office and reports to the Head of Aviation . The job holder is likely to be involved in more complex and specialized analysis requirements and will be expected to operate with a high degree of independence. The job holder may supervise junior staff to ensure that aviation operations and project objectives are achieved in accordance with appropriate operational risk management process.
POSITION TITLE : Aviation Officer
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed term
DURATION : One (1) year renewable
DUTY STATION: Goma
DEADLINE: 22 November 2019
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1.Contribute to the planning and coordination or activities relating to the safe execution of aviation operations in accordance with WFP and UN AVSTADS (Aviation Standards).
2. Support or manage aviation projects or operational activities applying standard processes, including the appropriate operational risk management processes, to contribute to effective humanitarian air transportation.
3. Provide technical advice to country office to ensure safe aviation operations are incorporated into local program planning and transport arrangements.
4. Collect and analyse a wide range of data from diverse sources through research and networking with colleagues to formulate and recommend actions to senior staff to improve performance of aviation activities and operations.
5. Participate in the on-going review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase the day-to-day efficiencies.
6. Support regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimize use of available funds.
7. Guide and supervise a limited number of junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
8. Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, supporting a WFP-wide view of aviation activities that enables informed decision making and detailed reporting to donor representatives.
9. Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners to safe aviation operations e.g. through the design and review of training materials.
10. Identify and build productive relationships with WFP colleagues and staff within the unit or area of assignment to align activities and enable a coordinated and coherent approach to humanitarian air transportation.
11. Follow emergency aviation preparedness practices to ensure WFP are able to quickly provide passenger services, relief supplies and emergency medical and security evacuations at the onset of a crisis.
12. Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet the required provision of service to the humanitarian community as needed.
13. Other as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Demonstrated ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to clients, beneficiaries and partners;
• Demonstrated ability to collect and analyze relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and make evidence-based proposals;
• Demonstrated ability to liaise with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, to draft reports and to disseminate information that represents concerns and trends;
• Demonstrated ability to negotiate contracts/agreements with partners and/or clients that incentivize optimal performance by appealing to the interest of all parties;
• Demonstrated ability to enforce adherence to operating and quality standards within own teams to ensure that aviation operations are carried out in a high quality, safe, timely and responsive manner;
• Demonstrated ability to contribute to advancements in air-based supply chain management through effective utilization of extensive networks of chartered and commercial airfreight and passenger transport service providers ensuring safety and security of effective delivery of services;
• Hands on experience in UN administrative regulations and policies in the area of work is a plus.
Capability Name Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Supply Chain Management and Optimization Demonstrates ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to ensure that WFP is able to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to its beneficiaries and partners.
Planning, Project & Resource Management Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.
Information Management & Reporting Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, draft reports and disseminate information that represents concerns and trends.
Service Provision, Aviation Contracting and Operational Execution Demonstrates ability to negotiate contracts with WFP partners within own transportation modality/region that incentivize optimal performance by appealing to the interest of all parties.
Aviation Performance Measurement & Quality Control Demonstrates ability to enforce adherence to WFP’s operating and quality standards within own teams to ensure that aviation operations are carried out in a high quality, safe, timely, and responsible manner.
Specialized Technical Knowledge in Aviation, Safety and Security Demonstrates ability to contribute to advancements in air-based supply chain management through effective utilization of WFP’s extensive network of chartered and commercial airfreight and passenger transport service providers ensuring safety and security of effective delivery of services.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Experience in technical aircraft, flight operations, or air traffic management sectors.
• Experience using aviation safety information systems to compile data and perform analyses on potential aviation risks.
• Experience identifying Aviation Security threats.
• Experience in Takeflite and PMT is a plus
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Aeronautics, Aviation Engineering, Airport Management or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses. Holds or has held a Commercial Pilot License, Air Traffic Control License or Flight Operations Officer License (or equivalent), Aeronautical Engineer or Maintenance Engineer License.
Language: Fluency (level C) in both spoken and written French Language as wel las level (B) in both spoken and written English Language
Experience: Three years of progressive postgraduate professional work experience of which at least two years of continuous service in the same functional area of work or similar.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline for submission of applications will be Friday, 22 November at 11:59 PM (Goma time).
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.