TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences 2021 for Research Groups (Up to USD $30,000)
Deadline: April 14, 2021
Applications are open for the TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences 2021 for Research Groups. The TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences was established in response to the needs of researchers in developing countries, particularly those attached to institutions that lack appropriate research facilities.
Under this scheme, grants can be awarded for research projects in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics either to individual young researchers or to research units in the Science and Technology Lagging countries (S&TLC) identified by TWAS, to enable them to purchase the research facilities they need to enhance their productivity.
The TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences aims to:
- Reinforce and promote scientific research in basic sciences in developing countries;
- Strengthen developing countries’ endogenous capacity in science;
- Reduce the exodus of scientific talents from the South;
- Build and sustain units of scientific excellence in S&TLC over a longer period to help them achieve a critical mass of highly qualified and innovative scientists capable of addressing real-life problems facing their countries.
- Research Grants to research units amount to a maximum of USD $30,000.
- Applying research units must be led by a renowned researcher who is a national of a developing country, who holds a PhD and who has good research experience. The research unit should operate within a university or a research institution in one of the S&TLCs and should include a minimum of the Principle Investigator (group leader), plus at least two PhD-qualified researchers and a number of PhD and MSc students, technicians, etc. There is no age limit for unit leaders.
- Applicant must at the time of application NOT have an active research grant with TWAS or OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship.
- Each applicant must have at least one MSc student under his/her supervision.
- Applications from women scientists and those working in Least Developed Countries are especially encouraged.
- You must submit a strong Research Proposal, you may find further information on how to write a strong proposal by visiting AuthorAID.
- Research unit leaders who submit a satisfactory final report on a previous grant may apply for a renewal.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
The deadline for receiving applications is April 14, 2021. It is strongly recommended that you do not wait until the deadline but submit the application as early as you can to enable TWAS to process your application as quickly as possible.Click here to apply