Vacancy Assignment Announcement: Partnership Facilitator – Livestock (poultry and meat value chains) as part of the 2Scale project: Toward Sustainable Clusters in Agribusiness through Learning in Entrepreneurship Background
Contract type: Consultancy contract
The 2SCALE 2019-23 program builds on the achievements and lessons learned from the first phase (2012-18, see www.2scale.org). It aims to be a flagship program of the Dutch food security policy and one of the main catalysts of inclusive agricultural entrepreneurship in sub-Saharan Africa.
2SCALE is designed to incubate and accelerate the inclusive development of agricultural entrepreneurship in the following countries: Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Mali, Niger and Nigeria. Public-private partnerships (PPPs) form the basis of the implementation strategy for achieving program objectives. 2SCALE’s strategy has three components:
1. Incubation of inclusive businesses: Through PPPs, 2SCALE works with private companies to develop agribusiness models that promote inclusion, develop (new) competitive advantage and have the potential to scale up. PPPs support the development of value chains and the formation of agribusiness poles. The “agribusiness cluster“approach helps smallholders to develop agriculture as a business and to provide agricultural products for local, national, regional and international markets.
The 2SCALE program works in partnership with African and multinational agribusinesses to increase productivity and improve the efficiency and sustainability of supported agribusiness clusters and value chains. Special attention is given to youth and women for the integration of value chains (as farmers, workers, entrepreneurs, service providers), and low-income / « base-of-the-pyramid » consumers who represent the largest market for food products in sub-Saharan Africa.
2. Replication of inclusive enterprises: via PPPs, 2SCALE supports the replication of the most successful business models, in different contexts (regions, industries), through the same private partners or others.
3. Facilitation of sector transformation and policy alignment: 2SCALE also helps partner companies drive sector transformation and policy alignment to address bottlenecks that cannot be addressed by targeted PPP actors and which simultaneously affect several actors in the sector.
2SCALE is funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands and implemented by a consortium led by the International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) and composed of « Base-of-the-Pyramid Innovation Center » (BoPInc) and SNV, the Netherlands Development Organization. Partnerships Resource Center (PrC), supports the consortium as a « knowledge partner ».
To achieve this result, the project seeks to recruit one academic with Partnership Facilitator expertise in Livestock (poultry and meat value chains). The Expert is responsible for the design and implementation of all PPP activities under his / her responsibility. He / she facilitates, in close collaboration with private partners and other relevant stakeholders, all 2SCALE interventions at the different levels of the partnership, of the base-of-the-pyramid of agribusiness clusters, of value chains and the industry. He / she also coordinates the support provided to businesses by support services, 2SCALE’s consultants and cross-functional specialists to the PPPs under his / her responsibility.
· Collect and analyze market and corporate information on existing and planned PPPs under its responsibility.
· Design, formalize, implement, monitor and document PPPs with private sector champions (companies or cooperatives) and other relevant private / public partners:
o Develop partnership agreements with clear theories of change, as well as related action plans and cost-shared budgets.
o Coordinate on-the-ground interventions that are the responsibility of 2SCALE, in accordance with the objectives set, and in close collaboration with the cross-functional specialists of 2SCALE. These activities may include but are not limited to:
ü Mobilization of actors around agribusiness clusters and targeted value chains.
ü Establishment of profiles / analyzes of actors in agribusiness clusters and value chains (and their organizations).
ü The business relationships of the basic actors.
ü Coordination of the activities of connected local actors within agribusiness clusters, based on competitive strategies.
ü Capacity building (technical, organizational) and empowerment programs.
ü Promoting innovations within agribusiness clusters and value chains.
ü Capacity building and trust building activities to improve efficiency and reduce transaction costs within value chains.
ü Link between value chain actors and financial and other support services.
· Monitor and document the progress of PPPs in accordance with:
o Key performance and change indicators in PPP.
o PPP action plans and shared-cost budgets.
· Make sure that PPP strategies transform gender attitudes and relationships, promote youth inclusion and are environmentally sustainable:
o Use a gender perspective in each action, analyze gender-related constraints and propose gender-sensitive strategies and address the main constraints faced by female stakeholders in each PPP.
o Analyze youth-related constraints (for young women and men) and propose strategies to improve youth employment and inclusion in PPPs and their value chains.
o Encourage consideration of environmental issues in all PPPs and in each pilot activity of a new technology / practice, and design – if necessary – capacity building activities to mitigate environmental risks.
· Make sure that world business champions and other relevant private partners understand and adhere to standards of corporate social responsibility (CSR). Design – on – demand – capacity building activities to deepen the design, implementation and monitoring of CSR policies.
· Prepare service contracts for business support services, in collaboration with the 2SCALE contract manager. Follow these agreements, especially through frequent site visits by cluster actors.
· Hold frequent governance meetings with the lead partner (s) and other parts of the partnerships. Make sure the governance mechanisms implemented in the partnership are inclusive. Ensure the validation, sharing and archiving of the minutes of each governance meeting.
· Collaborate with communication specialists to develop awareness materials and ensure visibility of PPPs and their development (achievements, challenges, lessons learned).
· Participate proactively in the « cluster » team, made up of all the PPP partnership facilitators in the same cluster. Respond to the advice of 2SCALE management and solicit their advice so as to improve the knowledge of the cluster, the development of forward-looking strategies within the cluster and the setting of priorities in existing and new PPPs.
· Write and submit activity reports and other technical reports, notes and partnership profiles.
· Represent the program at relevant national / local events.
The Partnership Facilitator may perform other tasks that 2SCALE management deems necessary for the success of the program.
Supervision and team collaboration
The Partnership Facilitator is supervised by and reports to the 2SCALE Country Team Leader. He / She benefits from the coaching of his / her employing coordinator (or his representative) and works in close collaboration with the colleagues of 2SCALE of the other members of the consortium.
· Msc. degree in rural development (animal science pastoralism, agronomy) or any other equivalent degree.
· At least ten (10) years of relevant work experience with at least five (5) years of experience in the field of livestock production
· Proven experience in the development of agricultural and / or pastoral value chains, organizational strengthening and rural finance;
· Proven experience in project cycle; planning, monitoring & evaluation and reporting. Proven experience in program development and resource mobilization will be an asset;
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
· Good skills in leadership, teamwork, coaching; proactive and results-oriented attitude; organizational rigor and ability to manage multiple priorities; initiative and entrepreneurial spirit;
· Master the main applications of MS Office;
· Have Nigerian Nationality
Ø Place of assignment: Ibadan (with domestic and possibly international movements)
Ø Working Conditions: Based consultancy contract
Ø Period of the contract: two year with possibility of renewal
Ø Desired date for the beginning of the contract: as soon as possible
Ø Recruitment procedure: Preselection on files – written test – Interviews
Interested candidates can apply until October 6th, 2019 by completing the application in our internal recruitment system. The application files consist of CV and cover letter, names and contacts of three reference persons. Only the preselected candidates will be contacted. We do not appreciate third party mediation based on this offer.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged!