1. About QUAMED
QUAMED is a not-for-profit organization that provides services to improve access to quality medicines. The organization is a north/south network of international organizations, NGOs and procurement centers. The association has set several extraordinary strategic priorities during a year of transition – May 2020 – April 2021.
During the transition period priorities include:
- To prepare and begin managing a transition in which QUAMED moves from providing quality assurance services to NGO members, toward a model of certification of medicines suppliers/manufacturers.
- The Transitional Director will manage the project including supervising the design and conduct of studies/assessment of the potential new “markets,” customers and stakeholder needs. With this information a business plan will be developed to guide the transition.
- He/she will be responsible to provide information to / and gain approvals from QUAMED’s technical committee, Board and member organizations during the initial key stages of the transition process.
The Transitional Director will also be responsible for maintaining existing activities:
- Ensure that activities to support members to identify quality suppliers in countries where they are running field programmed continues (this requires organizing missions of qualified technical experts).
- Ensure that data on pharmaceutical suppliers are adequately generated by QUAMED, through audits of suppliers and local market assessments (the audits are conducted by a pool of qualified experts, using WHO quality standard, and the generated information is shared with member organizations through the QUAMED database).
- To ensure that QUAMED continues advocating and raising awareness on the need to ensure access to quality-assured medicines in LMICs.
2. Principles and objectives
- The Transitional Director will manage the QUAMED team in order to transform the organization. The team includes a small number of direct reports, both paid and unpaid consultants with specialized skills. He/she reports to the Board of Directors.
- The Transitional Director will be managing an ambitious transformation agenda, in collaboration with both internal and external stakeholders involved in this process.
- He/she will turn preliminary plan into a robust action plan designed to transform the organization.
- Being familiar with the humanitarian sector, the international pharmaceutical market for essential generic medicines, international pharmaceutical best practices would be an asset. An entrepreneurial spirit will be appreciated.
- The Transitional Director will also be responsible to soliciting new work under the existing paradigm of providing services to QUAMED members. This implies, inter alia, ensuring that field missions meet the needs of members and are efficiently managed.
3. Organizational and mission responsibilities
- Strategic planning and leading the change process.
- Managing all aspects of the transformation agenda, including coordinating the development of market and product development studies and a business plan.
- Managing the historic work of QUAMED on behalf of member organizations.
- Defining operation course, strategic plans and objectives that will be approved by the Board and on an annual basis, by the General Assembly.
- Fundraising to support the development of the transformation agenda including financing of the secretariat during the launch phase of the new project.
- Developing and initiating networking with stakeholders
- Communication (including organization website)
Administration, finance and Human resources:
- Manage staff and consultants.
- Ensure legal compliance with all laws and regulations.
- Prepare annual and extraordinary budgets for Board approval and yearly member approval.
- Monthly and annually accounts verification and ongoing financial management and reporting.
- Gaining support for the certification project amongst members, donors, international and bilateral agencies, suppliers and the larger humanitarian community.
- External representation, or delegation to more technical profiles according to needs
- Upholding QUAMED vision as an association promoting access to quality medicines.
4. Diplomas and level of education
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration or non-profit management, or equivalent experience.
- Fluent in both written and verbal English and French. Knowledge of other languages is an asset.
- Proven track record in managing growth/change, and/or in launching a start-up or creating a non-profit.
- Senior management and/or Director experience of at least 7 years, preferably for international or humanitarian organizations.
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical quality and procurement would be an asset.
6. Location and renumeration
The position can be based in Paris or Brussels. Salary will commensurate with not-for-profit sector, more information available on request. Travel abroad is expected. The Transitional Director reports to the QUAMED Board of Directors. Right to work in France or Belgium required.
If interested, please send your cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “QUAMED Transitional Director – application” in the subject of your email.