Plan International recruits 01 SBCC Coordinator
Location: Jijiga, SO, ET
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent non-profit organization that advances children’s well-being and equality for girls. Working in building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years and present in 70 countries, Plan International strives for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children while working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners. Plan International Ethiopia is looking for Behavioral Change Communication (SBCC) Coordinator for Somali. This position reports to the Project Manager for Social Behavioural Change Communication (SBCC)/Demand Creation.
Dimensions of the Role
- Work closely with the SBCC Specialist on formative research to include a community situational analysis of the communities we will be working with to identify the barriers, enablers, influencers, channels and opportunities for behavior change for his/her respective Region.
- Work closely with the SBCC Specialist on the development of an evidenced-based SBCC strategy based on the situational analysis
- Lead the implementation of the SBCC strategy and monitor and refine the strategy based on feedback in his/her respective Region.
- Coordinate and lead the planning, implementation and reporting of the Transform WASH Project – increasing demand for improved WASH product and service in In proposed specific region(Amahara, Oromia and Somali regions).
- Utilize Plan International Ethiopia’s well established and documented working relationship with the GOE and HEWs, and strong reputation leading CLTSH, to design and implement targeted interventions to change behavior, increase uptake and sustain use of improved WASH products and services.
- Build the technical Capacity of district office, Kebele Administrators, HEWs, and other local level actors using proven approaches, according the national strategy, to promote demand creation for improved sanitation and health hygienic behavior
- The post holder will be responsible to oversee the Transform WASH project implementation and budget managed by Plan International Ethiopia, particularly in proposed specific region.
- The post holder is responsible to manage project design, planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation for his/her respective Region.
- She/he will ensure a smooth working environment and teamwork within Plan International Ethiopia Country Office and the respective field staff, and across the Transform WASH partners
- Key components of the position include operationalization of the project activities under Plan International Ethiopia’s role, advocacy and networking, developing and strengthening partnerships, resource mobilization and team management.
- In consultation with National Economic empowerment Coordinator, make sure that for the initiation, formation and functioning of VSLA groups that can lead the project to improved sanitation financing;
- As the team take active role on providing technical and administrative support to VSLA agents, VSLAs, during training, review and reflection meetings and preparation of reports.
- With the close advice from the Roving WASH/ Construction engineer, support on identification of WASH facilities sites, communication and mobilize the concerned government stakeholders for supervision and quality control, hand over process to the contractor/s and smooth implementation of the project;
- The job holder is mainly responsible to link the SBCC, VSLAs as pillar for sanitation marketing improvement and the construction sites as demonstration site
- Shall perform any other duties as assigned by his line manager, the sponsorship and Communication Manager and/or the CD.
- The post holder will be based at In proposed specific regions( Dessie for Amahara, Bako for Oromia and Jijjiga for Somali and Dire Dawa), at Plan International Program Area office or Project Cluster Office established by PSI, as appropriate.
Project design, planning, implementation and reporting
- In charge of overseeing behavior change/demand creation activities related to expanding key hygiene behaviors at home, school, and health facilities in In proposed specific region.
- Provide strategic, technical, and managerial guidance to the Project in collaboration with the SBCC Specialist.
- Build local capacity of selected entities in the design, implementation and evaluation of SBCC programming
- Ensure quality project delivery at all levels of the project cycle management in line with the child centered community development approach.
- Prepare annual and quarterly implementation work plans and budgets for the project
- Lead the technical design of project interventions and development of technical guidance and tools for program area and partner staff.
- Ensure optimum community involvement in the conceptualization, development, management, monitoring and evaluation of projects.
- Comply with USAID requirements, PQP implementation, fund & grant management guidelineMonitoring and evaluation
- Monitor project implementation processes, coordinate evaluations, share learning’s and document best practices; ensure project learning and achievements are documented and disseminated widely
- Prepare and submit periodic narrative and financial reports in a timely manner according to Plan International and donor requirements
- In collaboration with the other Consortium partners, prepare and document case studies and lessons learnt on best practices and project achievements.
- Monitor and evaluate project implementation with leadership from other project partners
- Ensure all project documentation is filed and organised for accountability purposes
Program integration and mainstreaming
- Mainstream inclusion and gender in relevant program designs and implementation as appropriate.
- Ensure that Plan’s Child Protection Policy is adhered to within the project and any child protection concerns are appropriately reported.
- Mainstream child centered community development approach in the project cycle to achieve appropriate participation of stakeholders and help them play a leading rolls.
- Foster collaboration and support at program area level to develop plans for integrating project with other thematic areas.
Partner development and strengthening
- Provide technical assistance and build the capacities of local partners in project management.
- Provide high level guidance to field staff on smooth partnership management for enhanced project implementation.
- Ensure that appropriate partner assessment is done on time and communicated to relevant staff.
- Ensure adequate stakeholder consultation and participation at all stages of the project implementation.
- Manage and monitor partnerships with implementing organisations, including their efficient utilization and timely accountability of funds allocated as appropriate.
Networking and representation
- Establish partnerships and networks with NGOs, Government bodies, forums and CBOs for cross learning, identification of lessons learned, best practices, resources mobilization and scaling-up to enhance project initiatives
- Network effectively with others to draw information and knowledge for the development of project inputs and strategy development.
Staff Development and Management
- Actively participate in country programme team and project meetings in an open, cooperative and proactive manner and contribute towards ensuring smooth collaboration and coordination.
- Ensure equal and fair opportunities and representation of both sexes and persons with disabilities in the program area.
- Build the technical capacity of Plan International staff and community volunteers and also ensure optimum community involvement in the conceptualization, development, management, monitoring and evaluation of the program.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- BSc Degree or Above in Psychology, Communication, Marketing, Environmental Health, Health Promotion & Communications, Development studies or a related field and with at least 5 years relevant experience in WASH, out of which a minimum of 2 years of NGO experience.
- A minimum of two years of demonstrated success in managing SBCC projects, generating innovative and effective behaviour change or marketing solutions. Experience in managing WASH projects with a focus on sanitation and hygiene, demand creation through CLTSH approach is preferred.
- Previous experience of managing and developing a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated experience of working with Environmental Health and Hygiene task force, National WASH cluster, and WASH networks and forums.
- Knowledge and implementation of behaviour change theory
- Extensive knowledge on WASH and the sector environment, including knowledge of WASH Sector Policies and guidelines
- Understand organisational principles, systems and have the ability to provide leadership and support to staff working at community level.
- Understanding of integrated development issues, participatory approaches to development, child-rights programming, participatory Monitoring, Evaluation and Research systems and processes preferred
- Working experience with USAID funded WASH projects advantageous
The closing date for the application is August 8, 2018.
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
- Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
- Knowledge of Somali langauge is preferable
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org