Plan International recruits 01 Education in Emergencies Specialist
Date: 21-Jun-2019 Location: Gambella, GA, ET Company: Plan International Plan International is an independent non-profit organization that advances children’s well-being and equality for girls. Working in building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years and present in 70 countries, Plan International strives for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children while working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners.
Plan International Ethiopia is looking for Education in Emergency Specialist for Gambella who will be reporting to the Emergency Response Manager. Dimensions of the Role * Budget: Raises and also manages up to 5 million USD per year from diversified donors
- No. of direct reports: 2
- Communication: Liaises with ARRA, government ministries, offices and bureaus at regional level and also with UN agencies, NGOs and other civic organizations working in education
- Risk Management: Has responsibility to comply individually with organizational and statutory policies and laws on People and Culture legality matters and also has responsibility to ensure compliance of the design and implementation of emergency/recovery and resilience focused education projects in line with applicable government policies, guidelines and procedures
- External Representation: Represents Plan Ethiopia in humanitarian coordination meetings, taskforces, clusters and technical working groups that are related to education in emergency/recovery in Gambella
- Reach/Breadth of the post: Gambella based
- Coordinate, manage, oversee and provide technical support to Plan International’s EiE and recovery projects (education in fragile states) in Gambella
- Support in the enhancement of EiE/recovery programming in Gambella region- including project design, budget management, quality delivery and timely as well as quality reporting
- Assist in fostering strategic partnership and collaboration with UN, government (ARRA and line ministries) and non-government actors to ensure collaboration and coordination in the area of EiE/recovery
- Assist in works related to improving understanding and practices regarding humanitarian standards with the aim to ensure programme compliance and accountability to humanitarian principles with focus on child education related rights and conventions
- Assist to ensure effective communication & information sharing on EiE/recovery and on the impacts and best practices of responses within and outside Plan Ethiopia
- Assist to in resource mobilization and fund raising endeavors for EiE projects by supporting resource mobilization and effective utilization of grants/budgets
- Assess the situation of emergency areas and develop appropriate and quality project proposals.
- In coordination with the M&E Coordinator, facilitate and carry out baseline study, semi/annual reviews, and evaluations during the lifespan of the recovery plan/project.
- Facilitate quality monitoring, mid-term and final project evaluation of the emergency/emergency projects in PIE.
- Manage and oversee the development, implementation, monitoring and tracking of work plans and budgets.
- Provide technical support and on the job training / capacity building to all education staff
- Ensure high quality reports are submitted in a timely manner and according to the donor and PIE requirements.
- Monitor the impact of the EiE project and promote learning by documentation of best practices for future emergency works.
- Ensure regular participation in Education, NFI, Shelter and other related sub-clusters, task force meetings, networks and other platforms at national level and ensure timely sharing of information collected within PIE Gambella
- Provide other related supports as required
Knowledge, behaviour and skills required to Achieve Role’s Objectives
- Experience working in refugee context and fragile environments
- In-depth knowledge on Minimum standards for education in emergencies/disasters
- Highly knowledgeable and conversant of child protection mainstreaming in education in emergencies
- Good understanding and experience in program management (assessment, designing, planning, implementation, report writing, monitoring and evaluation etc…).
- Demonstrated experience in working on emergencies and be familiar with Minimum standards for education – preparedness, response and recovery.
- Good knowledge of donor grants and contract regulations.
- Ability to deliver quality programs in a short time and work under stressful conditions.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Excellent written, verbal communication skills in English and Amharic.
- Strong analytical, writing, communication & interpersonal skills, and also computer literate
- Advanced skills, reputable experience in writing concept notes, proposals and reports
- Ability to develop innovative approaches and strategies
- Able to manage multiple and complex tasks within a deadline-focused environment
- Ability to keep abreast of developments in the humanitarian sector related with child right, child protection and development and ensure their dissemination within PIE
- Self-starter, enthusiastic & proactively engaging with limited external support
- Gender sensitive
- Assertive and clear minded while communicating
- Able to work with multidisciplinary team sometimes under difficult circumstances and using extra time including weekends
- Child friendly, respectful and fully committed to enforcing child right conventions and laws
The closing date for the application is June 30, 2019. This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia. Please note that:
- Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early. More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy.
Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse.
That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk. Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.