Position Title : Intern – IBM Programme Support
Duty Station : Niamey, Niger
Classification : Intern, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Internship, Six months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 03 October 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager (Immigration & Border Management) and the overall supervision of the Head of IBM Unit in Niger, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for assisting the implementation, organisation and effective delivery of IOM Niger program activities on immigration and border management (IBM). Extensive travel on the field and across the country will be required.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Participating in projects’ meaningful orientation, including through preliminary research, technical studies of construction sites, narratives writing, budget planning, ensuring project’s compliance with IOM standards and donor requirements on IBM.
2. Supporting activities’ implementation on border management projects in Niger, especially the construction of border posts along the border with Nigeria, MIDAS system deployment, the organization of large-scale international or regional conferences and bilateral events.
3. Assisting through liaising with the Procurement and Logistics unit on public procurement and grant award procedures, contracting, service providers follow-up.
4. Supporting the Project Officers & Managers for monitoring and evaluation, including reporting tasks on IOM projects, national and regional.
5. Assisting the IBM team in managing administration, communications and visibility.
Training Components and Learning Elements
The successful candidate will acquire technical knowledge in the area of migration and Border management in the IBM Unit of IOM Niger mission. He/she can also access online training courses at the disposal of all IOM staff to enhance knowledge in migration governance in general. He/She will also gain experience in working in an international multi-cultural environment, with an intergovernmental organization.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s or University degree in Political or Social Sciences, Project Management, Resources/General services Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
• Experience in report writing and project development participation is a distinct advantage, especially in the aid/development sector with institutional donors (EU member states, governments, etc);
• Experience in liaising with private sector partners, international and national service providers is a distinct advantage;
• Experience in administration/logistics and organizational related procedures within an international organization would be a distinct advantage;
• Knowledge in the Western and Central African (WCA) region is a distinct advantage.
• Able to deliver on set objectives in hardship situations;
• Can effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
• Can works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. • Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 03 October 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 20.09.2019 to 03.10.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information
related to bank accounts.