OIM recruits 01 Information and Technology Officer
Position Title : Information and Technology Officer
Duty Station : Abuja, Nigeria
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 22 July 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Lesotho; Libya; Marshall Islands; Mauritania; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Paraguay; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the direct supervision of Senior Resources Management Officer (SRMO), and in close coordination with the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in Headquarters (HQs) and Manila ICT Service Centre, the successful candidate will provide all the necessary Information Technology (IT) support to the mission, including coordinating IT assistance to Missions in sub-offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Supervise and coordinate the activities of the ICT unit in IOM Nigeria, ensuring that all requests are addressed timely and accurately with efficient allocation of resources. Assist in budgeting and allocating IT resources for the mission.
2. Implement systems upgrades and IT infrastructure changes in line with IOM ICT Standards and in close coordination with the Information Technology and Communications Service Centre in Manila. Install systems, network components, and software, recommending solutions to local technical constraints.
3. Secure the implementation of IOM ICT Standards, policies, and guidelines, with regards to implementation of network systems, IT security, software licensing, telecoms, and ICT procurement.
4. Monitor daily mission-critical application such as the Migrant Management Operational Systems Application, IGATOR and the SAP-based Processes and Resources Integrated Systems Management. Liaise effectively with technical counterparts for the proper functioning and availability of those systems. Assist with end-user training when required.
5. Ensure the required performance and stability of network services and servers (LAN, WAN, messaging, Internet and VSATs connectivity, VPN, etc.), to prevent and minimize downtime or service interruption.
6. Assist in training and supervising national IT staff in Nigeria Country Office including sub offices.
7. Advise mission management as necessary, for required improvements on mission IT Infrastructure and provision of services as required for the efficient functioning of mission operations.
8. Carry out technical troubleshooting for, and assist with the configuration of, Tele-radiology IT infrastructure for the seamless data exchange between the Missions and Tele-Radiology Hub in Abuja and Manila.
9. In coordination with SRMO, liaise with Logistics and Procurement Unit to ensure proper technical specification for purchase of ITC- related equipment and propose most suitable solutions.
10. Implement security processes for the various systems and network components including virus protection and Internet security. Provide guidance and information to users on phishing, Password Cracking, Malwares, etc.
11. Monitor daily the accuracy and completion of database, email and servers’ backups.
12. Provide first-line user support for staff in the Nigeria Country Office in a timely and efficient manner.
13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Mathematics, Statistics, Electrical Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of computer information systems, or related area;
• Knowledge of Software & Systems Development Life Cycle and experience in managing applications development and/or support teams;
• Experience configuring and working with Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) and SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2010, required;
• Extensive knowledge of Windows Active Directory and Messaging Systems, Cisco devices, VPN, VoIP, MS Office, Antivirus Software and utilities; holder of CCNA and/or a Microsoft Certification a distinct advantage;
• Knowledge of IT Service Management frameworks such as ITIL, COBIT.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. • Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 22 July 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.