HI recruits 01 Country Director
PRESENTATION OF THE ORGANISATION
Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity.
Handicap International is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside disabled and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
For further information about the association: http://www.handicap-international.org
Present in more than 55 countries, Handicap International is composed of 5 Geographic divisions. The Programme HI-Iraq is part of the Geographic division for Middle-East.
Handicap International (HI) started its activities in Iraq in 1991.
HI’s strategy in Iraq for 2019 includes 3 main components:
– Long-term development projects: support to civil society, access to services, awareness campaigns, community-based rehabilitation.
– Emergency/Post-emergency response for Internally Displaced Persons, returnees and vulnerable host communities (provision of physical rehabilitation and psychosocial support services, support to local structures, inclusion, protection assessments,).
– Mine Action: risk education, victim assistance, survey and clearance of contaminated areas.
The current operations are implemented through direct intervention and through local partners in the Kurdistan region, in the former disputed territories of Iraq (emergency and mine action projects) and in Central Iraq. HI currently has a country coordination office in Erbil, three field offices in Mosul, Kirkuk (with a sub office in Kalar) and Bagdad. HI is registered in Kurdistan and Federal Iraq.
Initially serving as HI’s representation office in Federal Iraq, the Baghdad office became an established operational base in Nov 2018, serving as a hub for operations in South Diyala, and potentially other areas of intervention going forward (Anbar Governorate – Ramadi and Fallujah).
Due to the unstable security situation as a result the presence of non-state armed actors; religious, political, military and boundary differences; and dire economic living conditions in many areas, displacement of people will continue to be experienced, as well as continued insecurity in some areas.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE JOB
Line-manager: Geographic Director for Middle-East (HQ based)
Funding body(ies): Approx. 10 different donors
Size of budget managed: Approx. 11 million EUR
Duration of funding (project):From 6 months to 2 years
Size of team: 300 national staff, 35 international staffNumber of persons directly managed: 8
OBJECTIVES OF THE POST
– Ensuring the implementation of the global strategy and the smooth integration of the different components: humanitarian, recovery and development intervention
– Ensuring the global coordination of the program implemented in the intervention area (may it regards strategic, operational, human, material or financial aspects);
– Representing Handicap International towards authorities, institutional donors and partners;
– Ensuring application and respect of logistics, accountability and financial procedures, based on the direct supervision and support of the Support Services Coordinator;
– Ensuring the operational management of the team placed under your responsibility
– Ensuring strategic program’s development in accordance with humanitarian needs identified as well as financial opportunities to be raised in the frame of Handicap International’s mandate and expertise;
– Ensuring the security of the staff members, operations and means related to the program in coordination with the Security Coordinator;
– Ensuring smooth and regular reporting activities by all member of the Programme toward HQ.
Under the direct responsibility and support of the Geographic Director for Middle-East (HQ based), you will be responsible for:
STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT OF OPERATIONS
SUPERVISION AND MONITORING
SUPPORT TO OTHER PROGRAMMES OF THE REGION
Low level of insecurity in Erbil, medium to high in intervention’s areas. Position based in Erbil, where there is an active social life and most facilities are available. The position will require frequent travel to the areas of intervention, where HI teams are working in community resources centres, IDP camps, health facilities and the communities in areas of Iraqi Kurdistan, Kirkuk, Nineveh, Diyala, Anbar and Baghdad. The security context remains fluid and movement restrictions can be introduced on an ad hoc basis.
Graduate studies in political science, management or any technical sector of humanitarian interventions.
– At least 5 years’ experience at key management position within international organizations
– Management experience in humanitarian programs in the Middle East is an asset (in particular in the Iraqi and Syrian crises
– English mandatory (oral and written)
– Working knowledge of Arabic and/or Kurdish is an asset
– Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
– Ability to work under high pressure and without constant supervision
– Keen on developing links and contiguum between relief activities and development oriented projects
– Motivated by constant programme adaptation to an evolving context and set up of partnerships with local and international partners
– Excellent organisational skills, co-ordination and transfer of knowledge
– Excellent communication skills and commitment to team work
– Ability to work in a tensed and volatile context with strict security measures
– Proven experience in negotiations with institutional donors, project writing and reporting
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Starting date: JUNE 2019
• Length of the contract: 12 months
• Salary from 3220 € gross/month regarding the experience of the candidate
• Perdiem : 547 € net/month
• Hardship allowance: 250 € net/ month
• R&R : Level 2 (5 days every 3 months)
• Paid holiday : 25 days per year
• Insurances : medical hearth coverage, retirement planning, repatriation
• position open to couple with individual housing