National Project Officer (Migration Mainstreaming)
JOB from International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 10 Dec 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission and the Programme Manager based in Country Office, the National Project Officer will support the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programme activities at country level. In close contact with the programme partner agencies, the National Project Officer will also facilitate coordination and articulation of the initiatives on a multi-stakeholder level, liaising with the UNCT and relevant national and sub-national entities to inform them of the programme’s activities, reach consensus and gain their support. The National Project Officer will also work in close coordination with the Programme Officer providing support in the process of capturing and disseminating lessons learned and road maps for action and report back to the PMU on the progress being made with update and monitoring reports.
The coordination and articulation of the initiatives on a multi-stakeholder level, liaising with the relevant national and sub-national entities and UN agencies are considered critical to the alignment of national and sub-national initiatives as well as improved support and coordination between local and national governments in target countries. This is necessary for the sustainability and improved development impact of the programme.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Support the planning and implementation of programme activities at country level
• Maintain a high-level dialogue with national and local governments to coordinate the programme intervention and its activities;
• Support national counterparts in designing and implementing a Country Policy Coherence plan of action for rolling out M&D strategies and policies including migration as established under phase II of the programme and Phase II of the UN Joint Migration and Development Initiative;
• In coordination with the PMU, implement a capacity building plan for actors at local and national levels to support the good delivery of programme activities;
• Support the lead ministry(ies) in organizing regular sessions of the inter-ministerial body dedicated to migration mainstreaming to secure advancement of programme objectives;
• Support programme counterparts to implement a strategy for progressing towards vertical policy coherence on migration and development, linking local and national levels of governance;
• Provide targeted support for rolling out programme activities at local level.
2. Facilitate coordination with UNCT and between local/national/regional stakeholders to increase programme’s outreach
• Facilitate a decentralized approach to programme management through engagement with UNCT to foster inter-agency cooperation and creation of synergies between activities of the UNCT and the programme;
• When not already in place, and in partnership with the office of the Resident Coordinator, support the setting up of suitable coordination mechanism considering migration as a cross cutting issue within the work of the UNCT;
• Support the identification of activities led by resident agencies which could benefit from the programme funding;
• Support the conduction of capacity building activities for UNCT to facilitate the mainstreaming of migration within the work of UNCT and in country UNSDCF;
• Keep the UNCT engaged with and informed about the implementation of the programme;
• Provide support in mapping, reaching out, mobilizing and creating synergies with existing networks of local government authorities at national level;
• Strengthen alliances of local and national governments with civil society organization, universities, social entities, the private sector and other local stakeholders;
• Ensure close contact, coordination, information exchange and reporting with local delegations of the SDC or Swiss Embassies and build synergies with other activities funded by the donor;
• Coordinate and strengthen all alliances with all key stakeholders at national and local levels to increase programme impact, visibility and performance;
• Communicate with PMU in order to consolidate outreach strategies vis-à-vis national, local authorities in the target countries and at global level.
3. Support the documentation of best experiences and policy recommendations
• In close liaison with the PMU, consolidate the results coming out of the monitoring of the funded initiatives in the target countries;
• Contribute to feed into the country pages of the M4D Net;
• Collect lessons learnt and good practices and provide support in the drafting of lessons learnt documents;
• Disseminate lessons learnt and good practices with Focal Points operating in other countries;
• In partnership with the PMU, plan and organize peer to peer knowledge exchange and study visits between target countries.
4. Administrative and logistical support
• Organize and coordinate meetings with partner agencies, national and local governments, civil society organizations, social entities, universities and other relevant actors and report on progress made and decision-making processes
• Provide meeting reports and disseminate ideas and conclusions to all stake-holders
• Perform other administrative tasks as needed
5. Monitoring and Evaluation of progress of interventions
• Support the implementation of a risk management framework to the monitoring and evaluation process
• Ensure correct budget expenditure of approved initiatives
• Support correct and timely implementation of initiatives that are coherent with objectives established
• Closely monitor initiatives in order to highlight and provide support in the implementation of any changes or adjustments necessary for the success of the initiatives in view of any unexpected obstacles or issues that may arise.
• Inform PMU of any and all changes, progress and incidents at all times
• File regular monitoring and evaluation reports to the PMU
Required qualifications and experiences
Education & Experience
• A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Economics, Urban and Regional Planning, Economic Development, Policy Analysis, and Private Sector Development).
• A minimum of two (2 ) years of relevant work experience on migration and development, with emphasis on policy, strategy and programme design and implementation. International experience is desirable as well as experience with an international development organisation or a reputable non-governmental organisation would be a distinct advantage.
• Previous work experience with migration and development issues a strong advantage as well as proven capability to produce knowledge and capacity development products.
• Computer literacy in Microsoft Office (word, excel, outlook) and web-based applications.
• Fluent in French and English are required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via e-mail to mail address referring to this advertisement in the subject: “VN-CO-044-2019 and complete name”. Application must contain a CV and a cover letter in a unique file.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 25.11.2019 to 10.12.2019