Location: YEMEN – Aden
Starting date : 03/02/2020
Mission lenght : 12 months
Closing date for applications : 05/01/2020
Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity. Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ».
HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
For more information about the organisation: www.hi.org
HI has been intervening in Yemen on and off for the last 12 years, with its actions initially focused on development issues, notably through the support to the development of physical and functional rehabilitation services for people with disabilities (PwDs) as well as through the capacity-building of the national networks of Yemen Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs).
Since 2015, HI interventions have been adapted to the current context of conflict in Yemen. With the support of different donors, HI has been supporting two hospitals and one physical and functional rehabilitation centre in Sana’a City, building the capacities of their key staff in early rehabilitation care and psychological first aid (including specifically for children), supplying rehabilitation equipment, and directly providing functional rehabilitation care and psychosocial support to war affected people (including through the donation of assistive devices and provision of Prosthesis). In 2017, these activities have extended to new facilities in and around Sana’a.
In parallel, HI is implementing an inclusion and protection mainstreaming project, to increase the knowledge and capacities of the staff International NGOs in the inclusion of the most vulnerable persons in their humanitarian response (including PwD), so as to increase their access to essential services.
While all of HI activities were done so far in Sana’a governorate, HI has expanded in Aden and is about to launch its activities in Mokha and Hajjah.
DESCRIPTION DE POSTE :
Under the responsibility of the Area Manager in Aden, and with a close functional link with the country level Liaison Advisor in Sana’a, you will be dedicated to the south of the country and in charge of:
• Ensure regular follow-up and analysis of the political, military and security context and trends in South Yemen;
• Support the regular analysis of risks for the south bases and the implementation of mitigation measures.
• Support the bases in the preparation of security documents and the implementation of security procedures;
• Coordination and implementation of safety and security capacity building and briefings
• Management of the liaison team in the south bases
• Support the bases in the preparation/negotiations to obtain access and the organisation of assessment visits in security-sensitive areas.
• Maintain / expand HI’s network of contacts with relevant security, context and access referents of other international agencies.
• Support the Area Manager in the management of security incidents
• Replace the Area Manager and/ or the country level Liaison Advisor for security management during their absences (in case of need).
PROFIL ATTENDU :
• Advanced level university degree; or the equivalent combination of education and experience in a related area.
• Considerable and strong security planning and implementation work experience gained in the context of field relief operations in insecure areas.
• Experience of working with INGOs preferably in a similar management/operational role minimum for 3 years or more. Experience in international assignments with diverse and difficult contexts will highly be desired.
• Experience in the development and implementation of safety and security management frameworks and protocols
• Strong knowledge and understanding around safety and security management systems in NGOs, demonstrated knowledge and experience of conducting contextual and risk assessments and creating business continuity and risk management plans
• Prior experience of working in Yemen/the region is a strong asset
• Proven experience of delivering trainings and capacity buildings
• Good oral and written reporting skills in English
• Excellent capacity building skills and ability to provide (basic-intermediate) security training to staff and colleagues
• Good networking skills
• Ability to work effectively with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams
• Proven excellence in communication and liaison skills
• English mandatory (oral and written)
• Arabic would be an asset
• Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
• Good communication and representational ability
• Highly organised
• A positive, solutions-focused person
• Ability to work under pressure and in response to changing needs
SPECIFICITES/PARTICULARITES DU POSTE :
The position is based in Aden – Yemen, but during the first part of the mission, the expatriate will be based in HI remote office in Amman, until his/her VISA for Yemen is approved. Regular visits to Mokha (Taizz area) will be done.
• Starting date: February 2020
• Length of the contract: 12 months
• Salary starting from 2757 € (gross) / month, adjusted regarding the experience of the candidate
• Perdiem: 550 € (net)
• Hardship allowance: 500 € (net)
• Insurances: medical health coverage, retirement planning, repatriation
• Paid holiday: 25 days per year
• R&R : 5 days every 6 weeks
• Status: unaccompanied position
• Housing: collective housing fully covered by HI
Only online by sending your resume and a cover letter via the following link: