EngenderHealth recruits 01 Director Financial Management & Operations
Director Financial Management & Operations
Job Code: 1367
# of openings: 1
Expression of Interest
Title: Director, Financial Management and Operations
Reports to: Chief of Party
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
EngenderHealth’s vision is a world where sexual and reproductive health rights are respected as human rights, and women and girls have the freedom to reach their full potential. This emphasis on rights directly underpins EngenderHealth’s values and principles: choice, quality, and excellence. To achieve transformational change leading to true social and economic progress, EngenderHealth partners with diverse organizations across sectors with the shared goals of highlighting women’s value to sustainable development.
EngenderHealth is seeking expressions of interest from highly qualified candidates to fill in the Director Financial Management and Operations position on an anticipated five years USAID family planning funded project in Uganda. Ugandan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Director of Financial Management and Operations will oversee operations for the project activity offices in Uganda. This includes the oversight of procurement, grants, construction, logistics, human resources accounting and finance and records. S/he will be responsible for managing the contract budget and preparing financial reports for submission to USAID. S/he will ensure funds expended are compliant with USG regulations and policies. S/he will implement fraud mitigation practices and ensure systems and processes are implemented effectively to support implementation of award. The position will be based in Kampala and report to the Chief of Party. The Director of Financial Management and Operations will work in a complimentary fashion with the Chief of Party to effectively lead and manage the project’s essential finance and operations systems for budgeting, financial monitoring and reporting, consultants, as well as sub-award procedures. S/he will provide regular technical support and training to operations and project teams as well as to other partner organizations to help them establish sound, reliable, effective, and efficient financial management systems.. S/he will also monitor the grant funds, develop the project’s financial reports to donors as well as submissions to the agency’s HQ in DC, and also work in close collaboration with EngenderHealth headquarters Finance and Operations staff in order to ensure top quality procedures and reporting. This position is contingent upon funder approval of key personnel and availability of funds.
Systems Development and Strengthening
• Provide leadership in in developing and strengthening systems and tools for successfully administering the project, including general administrative processes, financial management, sub-award management, accounting, and logistics
• Establish and maintain sound and transparent accounting and fiscal control procedures for financial, sub-award and operations aspects of project
• Review and strengthen financial control system including zero tolerance of fraud and effective management of fiduciary risk, ensuring that there is transparency and an audit trail along the financial supply chain;
• Supervise the implementation of financial policies and procedures to ensure compliance to generally accepted accounting principles, Engenderhealth standards, government and other donor regulations
• Lead and manage the project’s finance and administrative systems for budgeting, financial monitoring and reporting, procurement, and inventory management, as well as sub-awards.
• Develop and coordinate the project’s accounting, monitoring, and reporting systems, including establishing internal control systems in accordance with EngenderHealth standard operating procedures and donor rules & regulations.
• Maintain monthly management accounts system fully updated, providing detailed analysis to senior management of actual disbursements against budgets, cash flow forecasts and reconciliation of accounts;
• Review of payment vouchers for completeness, accuracy, allocation and for allowability of expenses by project and ledger code; match all transactions to accompanying receipts (vendors, payroll, petty cash, provident fund, advances and their liquidation to staff & consultant).
• Review the accuracy of the payroll, vacation, bonus, severance allocation according to the time sheets.
• Ensure that all the statutory deductions returns are submitted and paid to respective authorities
• Review the monthly and quarterly balance sheet reconciliations and clear any outstanding items.
• Supervise and coordinate preparations of monthly cashflow estimates and send the cash advance request to EngenderHealth Headquarters
Budget, Analysis and reporting
• Work with the project team to develop and coordinate the annual budgeting process
• Support technical staff to develop formats and procedures for submission of budgets and forecasts from sub-contractors and grantees
• Review and monitor budget to support financial stability, efficiency and value for money. Analyze spending trends and provide recommendations to team leaders and field colleagues on areas with significant over- or under spending
• Review project budgets and monitor project expenditure in line with budget by maintaining a budget tracking/reporting system (Pipeline report).
• Provide management & program staff with monthly reports and analysis as needed to help them manage their projects.
• Supervise and lead the preparation of monthly expense report and bank reconciliation for submission to EngenderHealth/ Washington DC
• Assist in the preparation of quarterly, bi-annual and annual financial reports to HQ and USAID as well as interim status reports as required.
Audit and governance
• Coordinate the preparation of the office financial year end procedure, year-end schedules and prepare audit schedules for all the balance sheet accounts including vacation, severance, prepayments, and accruals.
• Manage and supervise all compliance related matters including the development and monitoring of Corrective Action Plans, co-facilitating the monthly compliance team meetings (with the Chief of Party), timely submission of quarterly compliance reports to HQ, etc.
• Prepare the management response and corrective action plan for any management letter findings resulting from the annual audit.
• Establish, manage, monitor and oversee all procedures for the development and issuance of grants and subcontracts with local partners.
• Establish, manage, and monitor all procedures for management of the funds provided to project partner organizations.
• Provide technical support and training to the participating program partner organizations to strengthen their financial and administrative capacities.
• Supervise relevant Finance and support staff such as the, accountants, finance officers, and the finance manager, motivate and mentor a high performing team. Leverage the strengths of the current team members, develop and train them to reach optimal individual and organizational performance goals
• Oversee a process of cross-training between team members to enhance individual skills sets and to strengthen the overall operations.
• Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
• Master’s degree or other advanced degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or other related field. Professional certificate (ACCA, CPA) is mandatory.
• Minimum 10 years demonstrated experience managing in increasing roles of responsibility, finance procurement, subcontracts/grants management, logistics and/or human resource related matters for international development activities of similar dollar value.
• Demonstrated experience in the Ugandan context
• Experience in project administration with multiple partners.
• Demonstrated experience with the finance and administration functions of international prganizations.
• Proven experience in development and implementation of systems for grants and grant monitoring.
• Demonstrated knowledge and technical experience in accounting, administration and operational practices.
• Minimum of 5 years supervisory experience required.
• Experience in management and administration of human resources and personnel issues.
• Knowledge of USAID funding rules and regulations, financial reporting and disclosure requirements.
• Demonstrated skills in negotiations and effective communications with partner organizations and sub-grantees.
• Ability to facilitate decision-making processes and to build constructive alliances internally and externally.
• Ability to provide technical support and training in finance and administration.
• Knowledgeable of logistics and procurements systems for supplies and equipment
• Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to be flexible and manage and accomplish multiple priorities; goal oriented.
• Knowledgeable about information technology systems, including business software
• Strong leadership and technical skills, with proven capacity to direct and manage change, and inspire high-performing teams.
• Exceptional interpersonal, teamwork, communication, partnering and supervisory skills.
The position is subject to change based on procurement requirements and is contingent upon EngenderHealth being awarded the project and availability of funds.
Please visit the careers page at www.engenderhealth.org to submit your details by,27th September, 2019. Please include details of your salary requirements and salary history. Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted.
EngenderHealth provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to race, creed, ancestry, citizenship, religion, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, political belief, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristic or status under applicable federal, state and local laws.
EngenderHealth is committed to safeguarding all people, particularly children, vulnerable adults and beneficiaries of assistance from any harm that may be caused due to contact with EngenderHealth. This includes harm arising from the conduct of staff, associates and partners; and the design and implementation of programs and activities.