External Publication of Job Posting 50707900
Job Posting Title : SENIOR PROTOCOL OFFICER
Start Date : 04.12.2019
End Date : 06.01.2020
Reference Code : PRO201912047
Job Title : Senior Protocol Officer
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s
rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among
the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a New Partnership Worldwide. Its Headquarters
is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve these objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among
others, the implementation of new organization structure and the filling of regular vacant posts.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States to apply for the post
of Senior Protocol Officer within the Department of Economic Affairs in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Job title: Senior Protocol Officer
Post level: P3
Supervisor: Deputy Chief of Protocol
Department: Bureau of the chairperson
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Number of Position: 1
Assist the Deputy Chief of protocol in practical implementation of the relevant provisions of Treaties on the
Additional Protocol on privileges and immunities and the Headquarters Agreement signed between the
Government of Ethiopia and the African Union Commission.
Ensure the practical implementation of the Staff Regulations and Rules and other administrative guidelines in
the Division also ensuring that issues on privileges and immunities of the Organization and its officials and staff
are handled in accordance with the relevant provisions of the above-mentioned Treaties.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Deputy Chief of protocol, the incumbent will perform the following
1. Dealing with administrative matters and office management, i.e. preparation of internal duty schedules
and programmes for the proper execution of the various protocol activities so that the smooth running of
business in the directorate is guaranteed
2. Establishing the work programme for Protocol Assistants, as well as supervise their daily activities;
3. Initiating and follow up on requests for diplomatic privileges and immunities from the relevant Ethiopian
authorities on behalf of the Organization and its staff members;
4. Facilitating the issuance and renewal of visas, resident IDs for staff members and family members;
5. Facilitating the opening of bank accounts, import export permits, customs clearances, etc… for the
Commission and staff members
6. Coordinating requests for obtaining import/export permits for vehicles and other goods and personal
effects for the Organization and its staff;
7. Processing driving licenses, obtaining vehicle ownership booklets, plate numbers for the AU and its staff
members and establish a data base. Also, sensitize annual vehicle inspections and ensures timely return of
vehicle plate numbers to the Ethiopian Road Transport Authority as appropriate;
8. Supervising the Protocol Assistants whenever they are processing duties with the Ministry of Foreign
Affairs, customs, transport, etc… of the host country including airport duties as well as secretaries, filing clerk
and the mail runner.
9. Over-seeing the smooth running of airport duets (i.e. preparation of airport duty schedules, VIP Lounge
usage and airport accesses; visas for conference participants, transport and accommodation arrangements;
10. Facilitating granting of landing/over fight permits for special flights
11. Initiating congratulatory, condolence, … messages and ensures timely dispatches
1. Required Skills and Competencies
• Strong management and Leadership skills
• Time management skills
• Diplomacy and international relations skills
• Ability to negotiate and to persuade
• Computer literacy, especially MS office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Policy development and analytical skills
• High degree of confidentiality
• Very strong skills in drafting
• Ability to Work under pressure and very busy working environment
• Working time flexibility (ready to work after official working hours, week-ends and holidays)
ii) Cross Functional Roles (within or with other units)
As Protocol Services Directorate handles various protocol duties, the officer is also expected to undertake the
Service AU meetings both at the Headquarters and outside;
Handle official visits, audiences and welcoming/seeing-off VIPs
Perform on rotation basis the duties assigned to other Protocol Officers
Representing the Protocol Services Directorate at Departmental Meetings
Organization and logistical arrangements for official functions and events
Give the necessary logistical and human resource support to all departments in the organization of
official functions and meetings.
Project the good image of the Organization by exhibiting extreme values of etiquette, commitment, good
communication skills, courtesy and cooperation.
Judgment and Decision Making: The Job Holder is expected to exercise a middle-level management decisionmaking authority and should have good communication and administrative skills. The Holder should also be
able to make decisions on routine matters.
Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and
externally in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity, including gender
Communication: Effective communication skills (spoken, written, and presentational), including ability to defend
and explain difficult issues and positions to staff and senior officials; Strong conceptual skills and openness to
2. Educational Qualifications and Professional Experience Required
Master Degree in Social Sciences, with specialization in International Relations and Diplomacy, with Seven (7)
years of relevant progressive work experience of which Three (3) years should have been at managerial level.
Bachelor Degree in Social Sciences, with specialization in International Relations and Diplomacy with
specialization in International Relations and Diplomacy, with Ten (10) years of relevant progressive work
experience of which Five (5) years should have been at managerial level.
3. Language Requirement:
Proficient knowledge of 2 of the African Union official working languages. Advanced Knowledge of other
working languages would be an added advantage.
4- Tenure of Appointment:
The Appointment will be made on a regular term contract, in the first instance on a fixed-term contract for a
period of three (3) years, the first twelve (12) months of which shall be considered probationary period and
thereafter for renewable periods every two years subject to good performance and deliverables.
5- Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
6- Least Represented Countries
Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply: Algeria, Angola, Cape
Verde, Central African Rep. , Comoros, Congo (DRC), Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ghana,
Guinea, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Saharawi Arab D.R. , Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles,
Somalia, South Africa and South Sudan
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post
adjustment 46% of basic salary, Housing allowance $ 22,932.00 per annum and education allowance (100% of
tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00
per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally
How to apply
Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website
1. Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae/resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge.
Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
2. Copy of valid passport.
3. Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not
4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
4. Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
5. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the
basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants
must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work
experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate
applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and
evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be
amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a
reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management
African Union Commission