African Union recruits 01 Humanitarian Affairs, Refugees and Displaced Persons Division
External Publication of Job Posting 50671271
Job Posting Title : HEAD OF HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS, REFUGEES AND DISPLACED PERSONS DIVISION
Start Date : 04.07.2019
End Date : 05.08.2019
Reference Code : 10000578 – 03
Job Title : HEAD OF HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS, REFUGEES AND DISPLACED PERSONS DIVISION
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s
rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among
the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is
located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve this objective, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among
others, the implementation of its organizational structure and the filling of all vacant posts.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for a position of The
Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for a position of Head of
Humanitarian Affairs, Refugees and Displaced Persons Division in the Department for Political Affairs.
Job Title HEAD OF HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS, REFUGEES AND DISPLACED PERSONS
Grade: P5 Step 1
Department: Department for Political Affairs
Supervisor: Director of Political Affairs.
Duty Station: Addis, Ababa, Ethiopia
Number of Position: 1
2. Major duties and responsibilities:
To analyse and monitor all aspects of Humanitarian Affairs – refugees, returnees and displaced persons and
formulate strategies aimed at finding durable solutions to the problems relating to them as well as combating
humanitarian crises such as man-made and natural disasters;
• To provide advice on policy, protection, advocacy and operations to Member States and also to AU
partners and other relevant organizations;
• To enhance cooperation and collaboration with AU partners and other humanitarian organizations;
• To provide technical advice on all issues relating to the work of the Division;
• To conduct liaison and coordination functions with relevant departments of the Commission, Member
States, UN Agencies, AU partners and Non-Governmental organizations (NGO’s) and other relevant
• To assist in keeping Member States and the International Community at large, informed about the
consequences of movements of refugees and internally displaced persons;
• To ensure overall management of the Division; personnel, budget, performance, quality, discipline and
training in conformity with the relevant rules and procedures in force;
• To produce and submit periodic reports on activities and specific missions;
• To perform any other duty as may be assigned.
3. Qualifications and Experience Required:
A University Master’s Degree in Political Science, or Communications, or International Relations, or Public
Administration, or Law or the Social Sciences and 10 years of relevant working experience in Human Affairs, or
Disaster Management or International Relations, of which at least 7 years should be at management level.
A University Bachelor Degree in Political Science, or Communications, or International Relations, or Public
Administration, or Law or the Social Sciences and 10 years of experience out of which 5 years of experience at
a supervisory level in Human Affairs, or Disaster Management or International Relations.
4. Other relevant skills
• Computer literacy;
• Working knowledge of policy analysis;
• Management experience, excellent interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and
to work in a multi-cultural environment;
• Excellent drafting and reporting skills;
• Good communication and negotiating skills;
• Good planning and organizational skills.
1. Language Requirement:
Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (English, French, Arabic, Portuguese);
knowledge of other working languages would be an added advantage.
2. Tenure of Appointment:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve
months will be considered a probationary period. Thereafter the contract shall be renewable every two years
subject to good performance and deliverables.
3. Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
4. Least Representative Countries
Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply: Eritrea, Central African
Republic, Cape Verde, Comoros, Congo (DRC), Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Liberia, Mauritania, Namibia,
Sahrawi Arab Republic, Madagascar, Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles and Somalia.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post
adjustment 46% of basic salary, Housing allowance $ 26,208.00 per annum and education allowance (100% of
tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00
per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally
How to apply
Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website
1. Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae/resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge.
Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
2. Copy of valid passport.
3. Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not
4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
4. Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
5. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the
basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants
must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work
experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate
applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and
evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be
amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a
reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management
African Union Commission
Regular (Long Duration)