African Union recruits 01 Human Resources Assistant
External Publication of Job Posting 50670211
Job Posting Title : HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (IBAR)
Start Date : 03.07.2019
End Date : 05.08.2019
Reference Code : 30005523 – 03
Job Title : HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (IBAR)
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s
rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among
the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a New Partnership Worldwide. Its Headquarters
is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
One of the technical offices of the AU is Inter-African Bureau for Animal Resources (IBAR) Nairobi, Kenya
(IBAR). AU/IBAR is a specialized technical office reporting to the Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture
of the AU Commission (DREA), mainly in charge of being the vehicle for the AU to develop an appropriate and
independent expertise in the area of animal health and production for the alleviation of poverty of those involved
in livestock farming and food security in Member States.
It was established in 1951 to study the epidemiological situation and fight rinderpest in Africa. The institution is
currently mandated to support and coordinate the improvement of livestock as a resource for human wellbeing
in the Member States of the African Union and to contribute to economic development, particularly in rural
areas. More information on IBAR could be obtained from the following web site: www.au-ibar.org.In seeking to
achieve its objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver, by amongst others, the
implementation of its organizational structure and the filling of all vacant posts.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for the position of
Human Resources Assistant, AU-IBAR in the Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture (DREA).
Job Title: Human Resources Assistant
Post Level: GSA5
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Supervisor: Senior Human Resources and Administration Officer
Number of Position: 1
2. Job Purpose:
Under the supervision of the Senior Human Resources and Administration Officer, the Human Resources
Assistant shall be responsible for providing assistance to the HR Unit.
3. Major Roles and Responsibilities:
• Provide assistance on general HR queries and follow up actions, to ensure consistent and high quality
HR services are delivered to clients.
• Provide guidance and on–the-job training to other staff, to support their development and increased
knowledge of HR systems and procedures required to perform their duties.
• Liaise with other internal units/offices on HR related matters, i.e. payroll, contracts, etc. and provide
necessary information in order to enable timely HR services.
• Extract and compile HR data on staff recruitment and selection, contractual conditions, entitlements,
performance and training requirements, to support analysis and reporting needs.
• Provide administrative support in various HR activities in the areas of work allocated by the supervisor,
including on boarding of new staff members in compliance with relevant processes and procedures.
• Maintain confidential personnel records, HR databases and archives, to ensure data and files are
accurately stored and updated in compliance with the established standards.
• Draft various HR documentation required for the specific area of work (e.g. employment contracts,
transfer letters, training – related documents, etc.) ensuring accuracy and meeting established deadlines.
• Use HR management systems for entering and updating a variety of HR data including assistance in
monitoring various deadlines (e.g. contract expiration, SAP, etc.), ensuring compliance with the established
deadlines and accuracy of HR data.
• Support staff deployment and related administrative actions including preparation of basic reports, to
facilitate efficient HR service enabling AU-IBAR to respond quickly to a crisis.
• Contribute to the development of HR Key Performance Indicators/Dashboards.
• Develop reports and graphs based on the extracted data from SAP.
• Perform other duties as required.
4. Educational Qualifications:
Candidates must have at least:
A Diploma in Business administration, Human Resources Management or a related field. A Bachelor’s degree
would be an added advantage.
A certificate in Business administration, Human Resources Management or a related field with a minimum of 2
years relevant work experience.
5. Work Experience:
Candidates must have at least 3 years of relevant work experience in Human Resources, general administration
or any other related field.
6. Skills and competencies required:
• Computer literacy;
• Sound administrative skills and ability to multitask;
• Meticulous attention to detail;
• Highly developed organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines;
• Ability to work under pressure;
• Self-motivated, creative, and a reliable team player;
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
Knowledge and Understanding skills:
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Knowledge of African Union Commission systems and procedures.
3- Language Requirement:
Applicants must be proficient in English or French. Advanced Knowledge of one more or several other working
languages would be an added advantage.
4- Tenure of Appointment:
The Appointment will be made on a regular term contract, in the first instance on a fixed-term contract for a
period of three (3) years, the first twelve (12) months of which shall be considered probationary period and
thereafter for renewable periods every two years subject to good performance and deliverables.
5- Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 15,758.00 (GSA5 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post
adjustment 42% of basic salary, Housing allowance $ 16,813.44 per annum and education allowance (100% of
tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00
per child per annum), etc. for internationally recruited staff of the Commission and $3,300.00 per child per
annum for locally recruited staff of the Commission.
The applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website http://www.aucareers.org not later than
5 August 2019.
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the
basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants
must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work
experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate
applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and
evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be
amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a
reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
1. Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae/resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge.
Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
2. Copy of valid passport.
3. Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not
4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
5. Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
6. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management
African Union Commission
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)